Monday 27 February 2017

WEEK 5 Outside the Studio

Reading Week


I was out of the studio this week, so naturally I totally forgot about uni work- including improvisation.

I spent the weekend travelling around Newcastle, which meant going on trains and navigating, etc. I hate travelling with the passion. I get frustrated, stressed and quite frankly, the thought of getting lost made me so nervous and so anxious.. very similar to when I started improv classes.

Part of this weekend included going out to dinner and it was my responsibility to find a suitable restaurant that was cheap, close, and with a menu that suited my very picky partner. I didn't make any reservations and on a Friday night, we were lucky if we could be seated in two hours. So I had all these obstacles in front of me. I defeated and went home with a full tummy.

Once I had access to my books, I found like I related this weekend to how Kent de Spain discusses structure and more specifically the limitations and delimitations that might occur in improvisation. I admired how Steve Paxton mentions the spaces that he uses and the obstacles that he came across. He took what he had and used them to his advantage to create a piece. I then saw the stressful hunt for food as a opportunity to find new places to eat rather than going to the usual restaurants, which in my opinion made the meal a lot more exciting and new.

Bibliography:
De Kent, S. (2012) Landscape of the Now. USA: Oxford University Press.